Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Love Day!

For Valentine's Day this year, Jake and I decided not to do anything spectacular. Probably just hang out, make some dinner and watch a movie. So....I'm driving in to work this morning listening to the radio and one of our local radio stations is doing their annual "36 hours for kids" where they raise money for Children's Hospital. Having spent some time in the NICU this past year, I feel I have a greater understanding of what parents/family/friends go through when they have a sick child. All the nervous waiting, fidgeting, trying to make small talk to pass the time, and the sinking feeling you get when the doctor comes out to give you some kind of news. So this morning I've donated my money to the Children's Hospital where I know they will use it for a great cause. It's amazing the things they can accomplish and how many children's lives they save every year....sometimes I forget to be thankful for everything that I have, everyone that I love and who loves me, and for all of the healthy people in my life.....

And as a side note.....it's not such a great idea to listen to all the stories they tell during a telethon (radio-thon? I don't know.) while driving into work. Especially if you're an emotional person who cries at TV shows all the time. You end up getting to work looking like you've been crying because you're boyfriend forgot you on Valentine's Day or something. :)

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

6 comments:

Greta Adams said...

okay so i take it that you went to work with mascara smeared all over your face...

;)

sarah said...

oh man...
I cry at everything - that would have done me in.

How very cool that you donated money to the children's hospital! My coworkers daughter spent a lot of time in the NICU when she was born. Now she's a happy healthy 3 year old. Those doctors and nurses are amazing.

elizabeth said...

awwww...how sweet of you. when my daughter was born, she spent a week in nicu and never in my wildest dreams did i think that something like that would happen to one of my children. it is mentally exhausting.

so on behalf of all of us who have spent time there, thank you for your donation.


and i too am an extremely emotional person so i woulda walked in the same way...lol.

elizabeth said...

awwww...how sweet of you. when my daughter was born, she spent a week in nicu and never in my wildest dreams did i think that something like that would happen to one of my children. it is mentally exhausting.

so on behalf of all of us who have spent time there, thank you for your donation.


and i too am an extremely emotional person so i woulda walked in the same way...lol.

elizabeth said...

eeeek!

sorry for the double post :)

Jamie said...

I love that you donated!!!
I turned it on this morning and had to turn it off because I didn't want my tears to freeze to my cheeks.
I'm proud of you though buck....